Thursday 4 March 2021

It Lives.

 Wait now. What just happened?


Writing a blog is easy, writing a good blog is hard, and writing a great blog is really hard. You can stick to opinions or get forensic. Opinions are simple, forensic analysis isn't. I wouldn't bother looking back on previous blog posts here, they're all (hilariously) out of date. Suffice to say, I tried to be somewhat forensic, but gosh, it was a lot of work.

The problem with sticking to opinion, is that too many people think theirs are facts. They are not. Yours aren't, and neither are mine. They're just collections of words which may or may not reflect generally accepted reality. If you're going to assert one of your opinions is fact, you need to back it up with some of that reality. Spunking out some 'fact' and when questioned, demanding others prove it's wrong, is not acceptable. It's difficult to put into words the extent to which people who do this should fuck off.

You've all (mostly) seen what's gone on these past few days with the Salmond v. Sturgeon saga. Personally? I'm 100% torn about it. I refuse to become vituperative about either side, not because I don't have a view, but because I don't think expressing it would add to any resolution.

What I would say about it is, if you're dismissing entirely the arguments of any side because you a) haven't taken the time to look at the details, b) unconditionally like/dislike Alex Salmond, c) unconditionally like/dislike Nicola Sturgeon, or d) #MeToo - then your opinion, I'm afraid, is shit.

Using social issues like 'me too', or trans-rights, or hate crime - or any other inequality, injustice, or political concern - as a shield or rapier with which to deflect genuine questions or do unfair harm - is an act of execrable cowardice, and accepting it unconditionally, is an example of intellectual imbecility.

At this stage, it's an idea to include a picture, just to break up the text. Hold on while I find something... (And try to remember how to do it...)



Right now in Scotland, it feels like the adults are arguing and the kids have taken a side or are acting out. I've decided to look on askance. I genuinely can't think of anything else to do. 

I have no idea if this is a Unionist plot, generally speaking, I tend to think they're just not that good. However, I know there will be some exceedingly flinty-eyed individuals pulling strings in the background. 

How will I vote in May? Do you remember what going out for a meal was like? For me, I'd look at the menu, but decide what I'd have - at the last minute - when the time came to order. So I don't think I can say until I'm in the polling booth and the paper is in front of me. There would have been no question before, but now? Hmmm...

In the meantime, I'm not a great writer, but it is a hobby. I've written a couple of books and tried to be professional about it. So I thought I'd rekindle this blog - but not as it was before - just as a place to vent. I'm not going to link out or comment overly on specifics - it's pure opinion.

Feel free to share or comment as you see fit, (or not). I have no illusions about the value of the things my mind exudes, it is what it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for comment as always and I apologise if you have to jump through any hoops to do so. Its just that, I'm still being spammed by organisations who are certain I can't get it up or when it is up its not big enough or that I don't have anyone to get it up for.

Who knew blogging could be so bad for ones self-confidence?